Wisconsin Cheese Vegetable Soup
¼ c (1/2 stick) butter
½ c onion, minced
½ c flour
¼ tsp baking soda
1 ¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp paprika
2 ½ c milk
2 ½ c broth
½ c carrots, diced
½ c celery, diced
4 oz (1 c) Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese Curds
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Sauté onions lightly.
2. Add flour, baking soda, and seasonings; blend well.
3. Slowly add milk and broth to butter-flour mixture, stirring constantly to make a smooth white sauce.
4. Add vegetables and cheese cubes.
5. Simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender and cheese is melted. Do not boil. (If soup boils it may curdle).
6. Serve topped with parsley.
Can be served with rolls, salad, or sandwiches. This recipe is also a family recipe.
image courtesy www.landolakes.com
Leave a Reply