Since my family is trying to eat less meat, I decided to try this veggie lasagna recipe from my mother. It was very tasty and very filling! My family liked this one. However, I pulled a classic “Amy Move”. One of the main ingredients is spinach and I totally forgot to put the spinach in! So, we had spinach salads on the side. :)
3 tbs butter
½ c flour
2 ¾ c milk
1 ½ c PLUS 2 tbsp mozzarella cheese
3 tbsp Dijon Mustard
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp hot pepper sauce
½ # slicked mushrooms
2 medium onions chopped
2 c chopped carrots
4 minced garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
1 # fresh spinach
9 lasagna noodles cooked, rinsed and drained
1. In a sauce pan melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Add 2 ½ c milk, bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 min. or until thickened. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in 1 ½ c cheese, mustard, salt, and hot pepper sauce.
3. In a pan sauté the mushrooms, onions, carrots, and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in spinach. Cook and stir for 2 min. until spinach is wilted. Stir in cheese mixture.
4. Spread ½ cheese mixture in the bottom of a sprayed 9×13 baking pan.
5. Top with 3 noodles and half of vegetable mixture. Repeat noodles and veggies. Top with noodles and cheese sauce.
6. Bake uncovered at 375 for 30 min. or until heated through. Let stand 10 min. before cutting.
The only thing I would do differently next time is use less mustard. The taste of mustard was quite strong. Let me know what you think of this recipe.