1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
3 tablespoons sliced carrots
3 tablespoons butter
8 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
8 cups vegetable broth
3 tablespoons uncooked rice
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1. In a saucepan, sauté onion, celery, and carrots in butter until soft but not brown.
2. Add tomatoes and a small amount of broth.
3. Simmer 20 min.
4. In a soup kettle, combine sautéed vegetables, remaining broth and rice.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Simmer 20-30 min.
7. Serve garnished with parsley.
I like to serve this soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. This is a recipe from my mother.