In the mood for a yummy treat? Try these simple but delicious treats! The recipe below was was inspired by the Cheerios Cookbook.
6 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
1 bag (14 oz) vanilla caramels, unwrapped
3 tbsp water
2 cups mini marshmallows
½ cup semisweet or milk chocolate chocolate chips
1 tbsp shortening
¼ cup miniature M&Ms
1. Spray the bottom and the sides of a 13x9in pan with cooking spray.
2. Pour the cereal into a large bowl. Set the bowl aside.
3. Place the unwrapped caramels and water in a medium microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on High for 2 ½ to 4 minutes, stirring after each minute, until the mixture is smooth. With pot holders, remove the bowl from the microwave.
4. Pour the caramel mixture over the cereal and stir until the cereal is evenly coated. Gently stir in the marshmallows. Pour the cereal mixture into the pan. With the buttered back of a spoon, press the mixture in the pan until it is even.
5. Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a small microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on High for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring after each minute, until the mixture is smooth. Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the cereal mixture. Sprinkle the M&Ms evenly over the chocolate. Refrigerate until the mixture is firm and the glaze is set, about 1 hour.
6. With a table knife, cut the cereal mixture into 9 rows by 4 rows to make 36 bars. Store the bars in a loosely covered container.
1 bar: 90 Calories; Total Fat 2.5g; Sodium 75mg; Total Carbohydrate 17g (Sugars 11g); Protein 1g
These bars were fabulous. They are really easy to make and a nice little treat any time, or for a party. When I made them, I did not use shortening, I just melted the chocolate chips and drizzled that alone. Also, to make it easier to cut the bars, I cut them before I put them in the refrigerator. Once they are chilled, it is very hard to cut them right out of the fridge. Enjoy!
For more awesome recipes make sure to add Cheerios Cookbook to your AccuTeach shelf by clicking on the book below.
Leave a Reply