The 2014 Georgia End-of-Course-Test (EOCT) results are here. These results show a slight improvement over the 2013 EOCT results. The content areas showing slight improvements are Coordinate Algebra, Economics, Biology, Physical Science, Ninth Grade Literature and Composition, and American Literature and Composition when compared to last year. Here is a copy of the Spring 2014 State-Level EOCT – Performance Level Comparisons compiled by the State.
Summary of The EOCT Results
The percentage of students meeting or exceeding the standards for Coordinate Algebra has increased by 3% over last year’s percentage to now stand at 40% of the students meeting and exceeding the standards. The data is showing that many students are struggling when it comes to the math standards. Therefore, let us look a bit deeper into the mathematics results.
The Math Results
124, 000 students were tested. Of that amount, 60% of students failed, while 40% of the students passed this test.
Of the students who passed, only 8.8% of them exceeded the standards.
705 students sat the end of year GPS Geometry Test, and 61.8% of the students did not meet the standards. However, 38.1% of the students met and exceeded the standards.
4, 946 students in Georgia participated in the Mathematics II Test. 77.4% of the students failed to meet the requirements to pass. 15 or 0.3% of the students exceed on this test, while an additional 22.5% of the students met the standards of the Mathematics II EOCT.
65.4% of the 97, 659 students, which works out to approximately 63, 880 students, failed the end of the year Analytic Geometry Test. The remaining 33, 779 students, or 34.6%, met or exceeded the standards on this test.
According to the Georgia Department of Education:
Students took the EOCTs for the last time this year. Beginning next year, all students in grades 3-12 will take the Georgia Milestones. The new testing system is one consistent program across grades 3-12, rather than a series of individual tests. It will include open-ended questions in English language arts and math to better gauge students’ content mastery and, with some exceptions for special education students with specific testing accommodations, will be administered entirely online by the fifth year of implementation.
In response to the data, Dr. Barge noted that teachers and students are becoming more familiar with the rigorous expectations of the standards. He said:
Students and teachers are getting more and more comfortable with our standards and the results are showing it, ” said State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge. “The comparable End-of-Course Tests demonstrate a positive trend. When results on almost all comparable tests increase then we should be encouraged. However, we do know that the more demanding expectations on our new tests could bring similar results to what we’ve seen the last two years in math.
Leave a Reply